Monday, November 15, 2010


When I first entered the FAX show, I wasn't sure what to think. A fax machine is used to send documents to different places, in a quick and convenient way. I would never think to use this form of technology to send pieces of artwork, let alone create a whole gallery exhibit based upon this idea. But it is interesting, in a way we are creating art through the use of a fax machine. The original composition is changed when it is turning into a fax, and with whatever pieces of information that is transmitted, we get an image that becomes it's own work. This image is than reproduced again and again, changing each time. The use of the fax machine also allows many people to become involved as well as challenges the question of what art really is and who can produce it.

For my submission, I was interested in how the fax machine changes a colored image. I wondered if the work of art would effect the viewer in the same way, how the mood may change and so on. The first image is a photo I took of the Eiffel Tower that also has a strong color contrast. The second image is an impressionist painting I did of a scenic landscape. I'm also interested to see the effect that a painting has vs. a photographic image when it becomes a fax. Overall the FAX show is an interested way to communicate art in more ways than one. This show also opens the door for many people to submit different forms of art and it will be interesting to see how this exhibition progresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment