Friday, November 26, 2010

Candyland Brief

Design Brief For Candyland


My overall concept will be elemental, in reference to the actual confections
themselves and the scenerey I will use, such as volcanoes, mesas, islands.
There will also be an underlying theme of the elements of the universe,
such as fire, earth, air water, metal, stone, wood, etc. I considered
using actual products such as Snickers or Reese's in the board, however I
didn't want it to feel like an advertisement since that diminishes the
spirit of the game. Instead I decided to focus more on ingredients and
generalized forms of candy such as mallow, chocolate, peanut
butter/peanuts, caramel, ice cream, licorice and sugar. Included with each
of these representations there will be references to where the ingredient
comes from, or part of the process of how its made, or who helped create
it. For example, a character I have representing peanuts and peanut butter
will be Sir Carver of Castle Le Gume. Sir carver will have an impaled
peanut on his sword in front of a castle full of peanuts. I want the
representation to say "Peanuts" while also giving way to curiosity about
the name Carver and Le Gume. I want to provide insights where possible so
that adults and children can learn something from the game. Instead of
trying to push people to eat more candy I wanted to provide a neutral
ground where it doesn't feel aggressive in it's advertisement of candy,
but also provide some minor educational benefits.

My game will have a lot of soft, animated and mostly cartoonish imagery.
However I will include a lot of shading to create more 3D elements
throughout the game to reflect our current standard of minor realism. For
example, the Taffy Factory will not be a flat 2 dimensional object, it
will stretch according to perspective. Many of the elements I will use
will be perspective based, will have shadows and shading to create a
slightly cartoonish viscera. As the pieces move through the board, they
will encounter areas such as the Sticky Fields where they will get stuck,
or the Licorice Copse/Forest where the player will get lost. There will
also be the traditional bridges between parts of the track. Also, I had a
chance to look at the newest Candyland, and was almost shocked to see how
insanely busy it is and how it almost reflects the ADDism of recent and
contemporary generations. My board will be less visually cluttered than the
current board as a result of seeing the messiness of the newest board.

Overall my intent will be placed on appealing to a large demographic, and
I am borrowing the idea of cartoon style with adult content from such
companies as Pixar and Disney, who offer entertainment that is simple
enough for kids to follow, but provides some sort of insight into wisdom
and understanding of the origins and processes of candy.

No comments:

Post a Comment